HomeGeneral InformationAbout Zamboanga CityPolitical BoundariesBy NameCulianan

Culianan

Distance from the City Proper 13.00 kms
Political District District II
Historical Background

Culianan became a Barangay by virtue of P.D. No. 557, declaring all barrios in the Philippines as Barangays.

During the early days of the Spanish rule in the Philippines, the place now known as Culianan was a small nameless barrio. Only few Zamboangueños and some Chinese lived there. It was then a grazing ground for carabaos especially at night.

One morning, a patrol of Spanish soldiers arrived in the area. They stopped at a Chinese store and asked in Spanish "what is the name of this place?" The Chinese thought that the soldiers were asking what the carabaos were doing at night. So he answered "Colniahan", what he intended to say was "Curniahan" which means "fighting with their horns" in Chavacano. The soldiers thought this was the answer to their question and recorded in their notebook "Culianan" instead of curniahan.

When they reached their headquarters in Zamboanga proper, their commanding officer asked them what place they reached, they responded "Culianan". And since that time, the Spanish commander always mentioned Culianan whenever he assigned soldiers to patrol in that place.

Description

The Barangay is bounded by the following adjacent Barangays: Cabaluay in the east; Pasobolong in the west; Lanzones and Guisao in the north; and Mercedes in the south.

The Barangay consists of six (6) sitios: Catumbal, Buenakapok, Palayan, Nazareth Village (Uwak), Immaculate Conception and Tabat. It has six (6) Zones.

The existing farm-to-market roads and Barangay lateral roads are 65% concreted and the remaining 35% are unpaved. Culianan has stationed Government District offices, the Agriculture Office No. 3 and OCSWD Field Office No. 5.

The Barangay under the Culianan District: Mercedes, Pasobolong, Talabaan, Zambowood, Taluksangay, Salaan, Guisao, Lanzones, Tolosa and Cabaluay.

Barangay Fiesta August 15, in honor of Our Lady of the Assumption
Total Population (2007 Census) 7,607
Number of Households 1,184
Punong Barangay Gilbert R. Alvarez
Barangay Kagawad Pilar A. Alvarez
Arnold P. Fabor
Emigrado D. Rodriguez
Reynaldo C. Reyes
Joselito R. Constantino
Arnuel A. Alviar
Ernie A. Mendoza
Secretary
Treasurer