HomeGovernmentThe City Council

Sinunuc

 

Distance from the City Proper 9.30 kms
Political District District I
Historical Background

Of the many legends told, none was as fantastic as that of Sinunuc. The word Sinunuc means "burned" in Tagalog. The story says that long ago, Sinunuc was once ruled by the hostile Moro of Jolo. There were also Christians in the vicinity. The moros occupied the "Bocana", the place at the mouth of the Sinunuc River. The Christians stayed in the interior where they cultivated extensive farms of corn and coconuts.

There was no peace during the early days. The Christians were either killed or kidnapped by the hostile tribes. The men were killed; the women were taken to the Datu to be his wives, while the children were sold as slaves to the Sultan of Jolo. As a result of these incidents, many lives were lost and ruined, property damaged and education in the barrio suffered much. No school was built to educate the youths.

But in 1896, some prominent folks in a Christian village constructed a schoolhouse in Pitogo. The response of the inhabitants was negative. The frightened Christians preferred to stay in the hills and mountainous part because of the killings and kidnappings during those days. The school existed only for three months with ten pupils. The schoolhouse was burned and the hardhearted Moros killed the teacher.

The barrio was still without a name and the Christians were not united despite of the unpleasant situation. Killing, kidnapping and arson became an everyday occurrence and terror reigned over the place.

One morning, while the Christians were celebrating their feast, the man shouted "The Moros are burning the Ermita (Chapel)!" and their homes along the sea coast. As there were only a few of them, they fled to the hills to save their lives.

The women cried and prayed and even the men raised their eyes to God for help as they saw their homes and farms burst into flames.

In the midst of the said destruction, a man called Mang Kikong shouted in Tagalog, "Ay Diyos ko, sinunug ang ating tahanan!" When the bandits left the barrio, the Christians returned to their place. They called for a meeting to rehabilitate the ruined barrio, and the Moros never returned after that.

May 18, 1900 was memorable for on this day, the first Thanksgiving Mass was celebrated with the blessed Lady of Peace and Good Voyage. The barrio became officially known as "Sinunuc" to remind them of those grim strife filled days.

Description

Natural wealth and terrain predestined a significant role for Sinunuc in the Zamboanga history but old glory would quickly fade in the face of deeply rooted environment and social decay.

Barangay Fiesta May 29, in honor of the Blessed Lady of Peace and Good Voyage
Total Population (2007 Census) 15,926
Number of Households 2,681
Punong Barangay Pilarica K. Ledesma
Barangay Kagawad Arnold K. Ledesma
Armilet L. Aquino
Naim A. Iraji
Albes T. Maruju
Jaime R. Bello
Faisal Hadji A. Kiram
Ali A. Ismael
Secretary Ma. Seres E. Guillo
Treasurer Matilde J. Rivera