HomeNewsConsultations underway for ‘one-way’ traffic plan

Consultations underway for ‘one-way’ traffic plan

  • PDF
  • Print
  • E-mail

The City Administrator’s Office is currently conducting series of consultations with barangay officials, police and other stakeholders relative to the proposed “one-way” traffic scheme prior to the issuance of an executive order by the mayor.

City Administrator Marie Angelique C. Go told the press briefing Monday that the first round of consultation was conducted about two weeks ago among people that would be affected by the plan and another consultation was scheduled Monday afternoon at Centro Latino.

Go said the planned “one-way” scheme was recommended by the traffic division of the Zamboanga City Police Office (ZCPO) in a bid to address the worsening traffic problems in areas within the seven-kilometer radius of the city compounded by the ongoing road diggings by the Zamboanga City Water District (ZCWD) for its pipe-laying project.

She further said the proposal had already been discussed and approved by the Zamboanga City Traffic Operations Management (ZCTOM) Committee level.

In the meantime, the proposal was forwarded to the City Legal Office for review of any technicalities and legal restrictions before the chief executive signs the order, implementing the “one-way” scheme on major thoroughfares in the city.

Go likewise took note of the observation that the proposal, once implemented, will result in double-ride for the affected residents. However, she assured “this is only a mitigating measure that is temporary in nature” while the city government is addressing the traffic problems plus the road diggings by the ZCWD “as we are in the process of amending the traffic code.”

“This is part of the recommendations of the WMSU group used by the Palafox studies in the formulation of the city’s Comprehensive Land Use Plan and Zoning Ordinance,” Go explained.-(Vic Larato